Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Utah State University 0300 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322-0300, USA
Office: Maeser Lab 287
Awards and Honors
2017College of Science PhD Graduate Researcher of the Year, Utah State University.
2016Graduate Research and Collaborative Opportunities Grant, Utah State University.
2016Oral Presentation Winner at the Student Research Symposium, Utah State University.
2016Marjorie H. Gardner Teaching Award, Utah State University.
2015Outstanding Graduate Student in Chemistry Award, Utah State University
2013Award for Early Research Progress in Chemistry, Utah State University
2013USU Office of Research and Graduate Studies Graduate Student Travel Award 2013, Utah State University
2011M.Sc. Honor Diploma, Peoples' Friendship University of Russia
2009Best Bachelor's Degree Diploma, Department of Science, Peoples' Friendship University of Russia
2009Dr.Gryaznov Memorial Award for Excellence in Science, Department of Science, Peoples' Friendship University of Russia
2009B.Sc. Honor Diploma, Peoples' Friendship University of Russia
2004-2011Scholarship for Outstanding Academic Achievements, Peoples' Friendship University of Russia
1. (Poster) Chemical bonding in graphene, its derivatives, and several polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons
Ivan Popov, Yafei Li, Zhongfang Chen, Konstantin V. Bozhenko, and Alexander Boldyrev 245th National ACS Meeting & Exposition, Division of Computers in Chemistry, Apr. 7 - 11 2013, New Orleans, LA.
2. (Participation) International Conference on Chemical Bonding, July 24-28 2014, Kauai, HI.
3. (Poster) Complexes between planar boron clusters and transition metals: a
photoelectron spectroscopy and ab initio study of CoB12- and RhB12-
Ivan A. Popov, Wei-Li Li, Zachary A. Piazza, Alexander I. Boldyrev, and Lai-Sheng Wang 2014 nanoUtah Conference and Exhibition/19th International Conference on Commercializing Micro- and Nanotechnology, Oct. 12 - 15 2014, Salt Lake City, UT.
4. (Poster) Combined photoelectron spectroscopy and ab initio studies of pure, carbon-doped, and transition-metal-doped boron clusters.
Ivan A. Popov, V. F. Popov, K. V. Bozhenko, I. Černušàk, R. Pal, X. C. Zeng, W.-L. Li, Z. A. Piazza, L.-S. Wang, and A. I. Boldyrev 249th National ACS Meeting & Exposition, Division of Physical Chemistry, March 22-26, 2015, Denver, CO.
5. (Invited Talk, Presiding Chair) Application of the AdNDP/SSAdNDP Methods for Understanding Chemical Bonding in Low-Dimensional Systems International Conference on Chemical Bonding, July 02-06, 2015, Kauai, HI.
6. (Oral Presentation) Cobalt-Centred Boron Molecular Drums: the Highest Coordination Number in Chemistry Student Research Symposium 2016, April 14, 2016, Logan, UT.
7. (Invited Talk, Presiding Chair) Unique Cases of Chemical Bonding in Clusters and Solids: Localized and Delocalized Bonding Patterns International Conference on Chemical Bonding, July 14-18, 2016, Kauai, HI.
8. (Invited Talk) Chemical Bonding in Graphene and Newly Predicted Two-Dimensional Materials Materials Science & Technology 2016 (Symposium: 3D Graphene for Energy Conversion and Storage), October 24, 2016, Salt-Lake City, Utah.
Spring 2016 CHEM 1220. Recitation instructor, Principles of Chemistry II (Majors), USU
Spring 2013 – Spring 2016 CHEM 1215. Laboratory instructor, Principles of Chemistry I, USU Spring 2012 CHEM 1210. Recitation instructor, Principles of Chemistry I, USU
Summer 2011 Utah State University Teaching Assistant Workshop, USU
Fall 2010 College Level Chemistry Teaching (1 semester course and practical training), PFUR
Valery Popov (2011-2012)
Nikolay Baranov (2015-2016)
Maria Ustenko (2015-2016)
Ivan A. Popov, Konstantin V. Bozhenko, Alexander I. Boldyrev Nano Research, 2012, 5, 117-123 (Article) featured on the Cover of the Chemical & Engineering News ("Pushing the Limits of Chemical Bonding"), 2014, Vol. 92, Issue 38 (Chemical bonding pattern recovered for the model fragment of graphene (nineteen 6c-2e π-bonds))
Ivan A. Popov, Boris B. Averkiev, Alyona A. Starikova, Alexander I. Boldyrev, Ruslan M. Minyaev, and Vladimir I. Minkin Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2015, 54, 1476-1480 (Communication) highlighted in Sciencing and Nanoscience News [University of Cambridge]
Li-Ming Yang, Vladimir Bačić, Ivan A. Popov, Alexander I. Boldyrev, Thomas Heine, Thomas Frauenheim, and Eric Ganz J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2015, 137, 2757-2762 (Article) highlighted in Nanoscience News [University of Cambridge]
Ivan A. Popov, Fu-Xing Pan, Xue-Rui You, Lei-Jiao Li, Eduard Matito, Chao Liu, Hua-Jin Zhai, Zhong-Ming Sun, Alexander I. Boldyrev Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2016, 55, 15344-15346 (Communication, highlighted in SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY NEWS)
Xiao Dong, Artem R. Oganov, Alexander F. Goncharov, Elissaios Stavrou, Sergey Lobanov, Gabriele Saleh, Guang-Rui Qian, Qiang Zhu, Carlo Gatti, Volker L. Deringer, Richard Dronskowski, Xiang-Feng Zhou, Vitali B. Prakapenka, Zuzana Konôpková, Ivan A. Popov, Alexander I. Boldyrev and Hui-Tian Wang Nat. Chem., 2017, 9, 440–445 (Article) Highlighted in
X. Yu, A. R. Oganov, Z. Wang, G. Saleh, V. Sharma, Q. Zhu, Q. Wang, X.-F. Zhou, I. A. Popov, A. I. Boldyrev, V. S. Baturin, S. V. Lepeshkin In Handbook of Solid State Chemistry. R. Dronskowski, S. Kikkawa and A. Stein (Eds). Wiley‐VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, 2017, pp. 527-570. (Book Chapter)